Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Ballgames and manners!

My oldest son plays baseball, he has since he was three and he's now eight. Yes, this is his sixth year of playing. Four rambunctious years of t-ball and now we are on our second year with a pitching machine. Anyways, he had his first baseball game of the season yesterday, so we were down at our local ball fields for the game. (They won by the way! Go team!) I have noticed since he began playing that it seems every year the children become more and more disrespectful to their coaches, parents, or other adult volunteers. This year it seems even worse and makes me absolutely cringe. The things that were coming out of these children's mouths was absolutely ridiculous and so disrespectful. I understand completely that everyone raises their children differently. As for me, I was raised to respect my elders and I'm raising my children the same way. If my oldest says something ugly to an adult, he gets in trouble. Simple as that. I strongly believe that there are just some things that a child DOES NOT say to an adult. Period. Which leads me to manners. I grew up saying, "yes ma'am", "no ma'am", "thank-you", "no thank-you", "please", etc. My children are the same way. Even my youngest who isn't even two yet says "please" and "thank-you", or course it's more like "pea" and "tank-you", but he's grasped the concept at least! Where are children's manners these days? Or adults even? I cannot even begin to count the amount of times that my oldest son as held a door open for someone, they breezed right through, without even mumbling a "thank-you". Ridiculous. I use these people to set examples, I will turn to my child and tell him thank you for holding the door open for that person, that was a very nice thing to do, etc. I've even gone as far as to say it a little loudly so that the person could hear me say it. I've also said some not so very nice things to these complete strangers for not saying thank-you, but after seeing the disappointment on my child's face there was NO WAY they were getting away without saying "thank-you" to my child. Do not mess with mama bear!

Anyway, I cannot quite figure out....are manners not being taught to children these days? Are parents not being strict about it? What is going on? I've heard less and less children saying please and thank-you today than when I was growing up. "Can I have something to drink, please?", sounds SO much better than "Give me a dang drink!", coming from a child or even an adult. And yes I have heard the "Give me a dang drink!" statement come directly from a child TO me during a t-ball game. Among other things while being an assistant coach and dugout mom. There is nothing quite like being spit on by a kid that's not yours!

Play Ball!

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely agree, manners are not being taught. My kids are expected to say please and thank you. I didn't grow up with the please and Thank you but I am doing my best to show them. Lexie (1) can say please and thank you. My kids know better. Too bad more parents don't think like you and I.

    ReplyDelete